e-ISSN: 3023-6053
Volume : Issue : Year : 2023

Quick Search




BAU Health and Innovation Problems Related to Cables and Connections in the Operating Room: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis [BAU Health Innov]
BAU Health Innov. 2023; 1(1): 38-44 | DOI: 10.14744/bauh.2023.55264

Problems Related to Cables and Connections in the Operating Room: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

Dilay Hacıdursunoğlu Erbaş1, Hatice Azizoğlu2, Fatma Eti Aslan1
1Department of Nursing, Bahçeşehir University Faculty of Health Sciences, İstanbul, Türkiye
2Department of Nursing, Van Yüzüncü Yıl University Faculty of Health Sciences, Van, Türkiye

In this systematic review and meta-analysis study, it was aimed to determine the problems caused by cables and connections used in the operating room. Cross-sectional studies published between January 2005 and September 2020 were included in the study. Five databases were scanned on September 12, 2020, to determine suitable studies. Different combinations were used with the keywords “surgical room OR operating room” AND “cables” AND “connections” and “safety.” The scan initially reached 775 articles. Five of the studies included in the systematic review and meta-analysis were of the cross-sectional type. According to the combined results of these studies, 64% of operating room employees reported problems arising from cables and connections. About 45% of these problems have been detected during the surgery and 55% during the entire operating room process. It has been reported that an estimated 22% of the cables and connections in the operating room have malfunctions that the cable and connection problems arising from instrument failures are 14%, and the cable and connection problems developed in robotic surgery operations occur at an average of 42%. According to the combined results of these studies, it was determined that 22% of the cables and connections in the operating room had malfunctions and 64% of the operating room employees had problems due to cables and connections. Since there is no one solution that fits every surgery or team’ for the operating rooms, all these shortcomings show the need for solutions for safe cable application in the operating room.

Keywords: Equipment and supplies, equipment safety, optical fiber, safety, surgical rooms.

Dilay Hacıdursunoğlu Erbaş, Hatice Azizoğlu, Fatma Eti Aslan. Problems Related to Cables and Connections in the Operating Room: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. BAU Health Innov. 2023; 1(1): 38-44

Corresponding Author: Hatice Azizoğlu, Türkiye
Manuscript Language: English